Monday, February 25, 2013

Status update, 2013/02/25

 Hi folks, I'm back with another update. This past week hasn't seen much time devoted to Rustbot, but I still managed to make hit some milestones. For one, I incorporated an inventory system. Once you grab an item (left-click on it), you can drop it or add it to your inventory by either left-clicking or right-clicking, respectively. So to add multiple items swiftly, it's just simply alternating left, right, left, right, left, right. Minimizing clicking or keystroke counts between desired actions is a strong key to good game design, so I'm trying to make it as streamlined as possible from the ground up.

Inventory system
I intend to add images of the items in their respective slots, but I struggled with that while I was working on it. I think I may have found a way to do it, though, and need to test it. Hopefully its potential pans out.

Additionally, I added some environmental clutter. I spent a (very) little amount of time in Blender making up some rock clusters, as well as a crashed space ship (from whence your character originates). I also figured out normal maps, so things are looking a lot less boring now.

Crashed ship with smoke particle system



In addition to these changes, I did some backend stuff to clean up some functions and moved some other code around to make things more organized.

So this coming week I hope to get the inventory system a little prettier / informational, as well as begin some more art-centric work (as far as NPCs and animations). Maybe I'll even work on a different (read: larger) map.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment