Wednesday, January 30, 2013

More core features

Last night I was able to implement on-the-fly joining of objects, thanks once more to Unity's ease of use. Again, this is something with which I struggled mightily when doing the class coding myself. I had barely achieved it, and it was still extremely buggy a year and a half ago. But this? This is stable. And it's awesome.

So as I was fooling around with it, I created a little tower in the level, and challenged myself to get to the top. To do so, I had to dismantle a bunch of surrounding robots and use their components to build a staircase around the tower, thereby accessing the top. It wound up being quite challenging, because it became a sort of "make-your-own-platformer" game, complete with missing jumps and falling flat on your face, and having to start from the bottom again. I actually found it fun and reaching the top was quite rewarding, despite there being no actual reward in place. I feel like there's more to Rustbot than I'd originally imagined.

Anyways, here's the tower and the staircase I built around it.





No comments:

Post a Comment