Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Extremely early dev build (keyword video)


So I figured I'd record a short video for folk to check out. It shows a teensy bit of tech development, plus some other goodies. Bear in mind this is extremely early development and, as such, all graphics, GUI elements, all other aesthetic elements and controls are explicitly not near final.

What you can see from it, though, is the following:

  • Custom heightmap (the same one I made ten years ago and continue to use)
  • Pretty desert land texture
  • Ground detail normal map
  • Ground detail texture
  • Waving sparse grass
  • GUI label, button and crosshair
  • Non-animated, non-rigged robots (obviously placeholders)
  • "Object selection" mode enabled by holding down Tab
  • Grab objects off robots
  • Grab the robot's energy source and watch its shell collapse
  • Grab and launch any of the objects
  • Collision-triggered metal clang sound,
    • Volume set by relative collision velocity
    • Pitch set by object mass
See the video after the break!





So there you have it. Yes, that's FRAPS I'm using for video capture and, yes, it's the free version, so there's an imposed 30 second recording limit. Also a watermark. Because $37? Man I'm cheap.

Anyways, hope that gives you a slight idea of where I'm at, and why I'm so excited about using Unity. Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment