Thursday, April 21, 2011

Update on last night's work

Well, I'm pleased to report I got some significant work done last night. When I say "significant", I don't necessarily mean that it was a lot, but that it was important and marks a milestone (or... stepping stone... or a pebble. Whatever.).

First, I managed to completely break the whole game. But I meant to do that! Seriously. I can't just completely change my classes around and expect things to still work, so it done gone got broked*. It's an unusual claim to say that breaking it is progress, but it is what it is. Furthering the progress is the fact that I then fixed it. Mostly.

I got everything to compile again, but then it crashed when loading a save file. I quickly found out why and fixed that. Then it crashed while loading a heightmap. I found out why and fixed that. Then it crashed when trying to render the world screen. I found out why and fixed that.

I don't have any use of world objects just yet, just the camera, skybox and land. I fixed those and am now (kinda) back to square one with world objects. I have the classes written, now it's just a matter of incorporating them into the world.

I think I'm just going to delete portions of code that directly relate to their handling and rewrite them so as to not clutter everything and/or confuse myself. Yes, I think that's best.

Also, last night while working I tweeted a couple updates on my progress. I think I liked doing that, so I'll see about continuing that trend in the future.


*Yes, I really wrote that.

No comments:

Post a Comment